NATURAL WINTER SKINCARE TIPS AND REMEDIES
Between the dry air, harsh winds and constant hand-washing to stay healthy, winter can wreak havoc on your skin. As the temperatures drop and snow begins to fall, it’s important to take winter skincare tips into consideration—your skin is often your body’s first line of defense for staying healthy, after all.
If you’re feeling the effects of winter dryness on your skin, don’t stress. There are natural remedies that can help soothe your dry winter skin and keep it looking fresh and radiant all winter long.
HOW WINTER WEATHER AFFECTS THE SKIN
Your skin is the largest organ in your body. And, just like your heart or your lungs, it needs regular care and attention to stay healthy, particularly in the winter. What’s more, your skin keeps harmful things out—and good things in—so you need to take care of it! Though it’s easy to overlook in the wintertime, maintaining healthy skin should be a top priority.
In many parts of the U.S., harsh winter weather conditions can impact your skin negatively. For instance, you may notice that your skin becomes dry, cracked, flaky, red and even itchy during the colder months, especially if you live in a drier climate with minimal humidity.
Additionally, dryness is one of the most common effects of winter weather on your skin. The air outside is typically cold and dry during the winter months, which means water evaporates from your skin more quickly. And thanks to your trusty heater, the air inside your house is also likely very dry, which only dehydrates your skin further. Additionally, your skin must also contend with harsh wind gusts and UV rays (yes, even during winter you still need to wear sunscreen with SPF and take other steps to protect against the sun).
Taken together, these conditions make winter one of the toughest seasons for your skin to endure.
NATURAL WINTER SKINCARE REMEDIES
Luckily, there are homemade winter skincare tips that can help with these and other cold-weather issues. Although there’s no one-size-fits-all approach for how to take care of dry skin in the winter months, it’s important to use natural products—with quality ingredients and no chemicals or fillers. (Your skin will thank you!)
Home remedies for winter skincare start with ensuring your body has everything it needs to support healthy skin. Collagen is your body’s natural way of keeping your skin looking and feeling youthful, plump and smooth. However, collagen production by the body starts decreasing around age 25.
You can supplement with Bulletproof collagen to ensure your skin is reaping the benefits, which include providing your body with the important amino acid glycine, which helps your body make its own collagen. In fact, there is no better source of glycine than supplemental collagen. If you want to add more collagen to your diet, consider these tried and tested Bulletproof products:
- Bulletproof Collagen Protein: Get more out of your beverages by adding collagen-rich powders to smoothies, shakes, soups, and even Bulletproof Coffee. For a flavorless scoop, try Unflavored Collagen Protein. If you prefer some sweetness, opt for Vanilla or Chocolate. Still, there’s Berry Lemonade-flavored Bulletproof Beauty Boost, which, along with collagen, contains biotin, hyaluronic acid, keratin and a slew of other vitamins to support hydration, smooth skin and healthy skin elasticity, along with working to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Love to bake? Add these Collagen Breakfast Cookies to your morning routine!
- Bulletproof Collagen Protein Bars and Bulletproof Chocolate Dipped Collagen Bars: Toss a delicious collagen-infused bar (or a few) into your bag for a quality snack that can help provide the building blocks for radiant skin.
- Bulletproof Collagelatin: For an added boost of protein and collagen, stir Collagelatain into soups, sauces, puddings and jellies.
- Bulletproof Cold Brew Latte: Glow while accessing whole-body fuel with collagen support in chilled, ready-to-drink cold brew cans. Available in Original, Vanilla and Dark Chocolate, if you’re not sure which flavor is right for you, sample the Cold Brew Latte Variety Pack.
Did you know homemade winter skincare tips can encompass one of the most popular items in your pantry? Coffee (which is much appreciated when piping-hot in the winter months) is rich in antioxidants, and can help protect your skin from sun damage. Contrary to what you might have thought about caffeine restricting blood flow, a good cup of java may actually increase blood flow, and therefore, also support overall skin health.”
Furthermore, your coffee grounds can star in an effective homemade exfoliant for sloughing off dead skin cells. Keep in mind, however, that exfoliating coffee grounds should be used gently and sparingly during the winter months.
Most people can’t get all the vitamins and minerals they need from their regular diet, which is where supplements can help. As an added bonus, there are a few Bulletproof supplements that can help support your dry winter skin during the colder months:
- Bulletproof Zinc With Copper: Zinc can assist your body with functioning at peak levels, which helps keep your skin healthy, smooth and clear.
- Bulletproof Eye Armor: In addition to protecting against eye strain and fatigue, this supplement contains 4mg of astaxanthin, which can help protect against year-round UV damage to the skin.
- Bulletproof Omega Krill Complex: Omega-3s, like the ones found in Omega Krill Complex, can help shield your skin against the sun and support overall skin health.
When applied directly, topicals can help keep your skin hydrated, soft and clear. During the wintertime, consider using hydrating lotions, natural oils and soothing salves frequently to help moisturize your skin and protect against cracks and redness.
Winter skincare tip: Along with a nourishing bath bomb, add a few drops of your favorite essential oils to your warm tub for a beneficial soak.
HOW TO DESIGN A HEALTHY WINTER SKINCARE ROUTINE
A thorough winter skincare routine can help protect your skin against the elements while working hard to keep it smooth, soft and full of life. If you’re wondering how to take care of dry skin in the wintertime, follow a holistic approach that focuses on your overall health and well-being.
To build a beneficial skincare regimen, consider these winter skincare tips:
- Hydrate: Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the winter months, as hydration is essential for combatting the drying effects of winter weather. Not only will drinking water help your skin stay hydrated, but it will also support your immune system and maintain overall wellness.
- Eat a nutritious diet: Though there are lots of tempting meals around during the winter months, it’s important to eat foods that are packed with the nutrients, vitamins and minerals your body needs to stay healthy. (Try these Cauliflower and Ribeye Steak Fajitas!)
- Time your hot showers: When it’s cold outside, your first instinct may be to warm up with a long, hot shower. However, overly hot water can dry out your skin even further, so it’s a good idea to take shorter, lukewarm showers and baths.
- Limit face washing: To help prevent your skin from drying out even more, limit the number of times you wash your face each day. When you do so, use a gentle cleanser each evening before bed (especially if you wear makeup during the day), taking care to use warm water, instead of cranking up the heat.
- Use a thicker moisturizer, and reapply: Moisturizer is your skin’s best friend during the winter months. To keep your face hydrated, use a thicker moisturizer and reapply it often throughout the day, especially right before bed. Moisturizing body lotions can also help prevent dryness.
- Buy a humidifier: You can help counteract some of the drying effects caused by your indoor heater with a humidifier, a handy device that plugs into a wall outlet and releases a steady mist of water into the air.
- Get quality sleep: You already know that a good night’s sleep helps you feel sharp and energized during the day. But, getting good rest is also just as important for your skin, which needs time to recover—just like the rest of your body. Need help getting to dreamland? Bulletproof Zen Mode works to reduce stress and make you feel calm before bed, while Bulletproof Sleep Mode can launch you toward those quality zzzs.
The bottom line: Winter can be brutal on your skin, but there are simple steps you can take to combat the effects of colder weather. Natural remedies can help your dry winter skin stay hydrated and strong throughout the colder months. With a little extra care and a quality winter skincare routine, you’ll head into spring with just the right glow.
Want to make sure your skin stays full and plump no matter the season? Try these easy collagen peptide recipes, from flavorful drinks to decadent desserts!