THE BEST WOMEN’S VITAMINS AND SUPPLEMENTS IN 2021
You’ve cleaned up your diet, started exercising regularly and made sure you’re getting plenty of high-quality sleep each night. But, your brain still feels foggy at work and you’re too tired to do anything other than lounge on the couch and watch Netflix to wind down each night. Well, it may be time to start paying attention to those blatant callouts about the best women’s vitamins in your Instagram feed…
In fact, without even realizing it, your body may be battling against vitamin and nutrient deficiencies. Without these key building blocks and vital pieces of the puzzle, it’s no surprise your body is quietly signaling for help while you struggle to focus during your boss’s important Zoom presentation or while listening to the kids’ tales about their day.
But don’t worry, you don’t have to completely overhaul your lifestyle to make sure your body is getting exactly what it needs to thrive. The best women’s vitamins and women’s health supplements are easy to incorporate into your routine and can help support your overall health and wellness. And this means you can get back to being yourself, so you can unleash your limitless potential!
WHY DO I NEED WOMEN’S HEALTH SUPPLEMENTS AND VITAMINS?
Vitamins, minerals and key nutrients help your body function at the highest levels. These organic compounds, often found in food, support just about every nook and cranny of your body and its various systems and functions, from microscopic enzymes all the way out to the skin—your largest organ.
Depending on your diet, you may be experiencing a deficiency in the key nutrients and vitamins your body needs to function at peak performance. For example, dairy-free diets have been linked to lower levels of Vitamin D, while the vegan diet may cause deficiencies in vitamin B12 and vitamin D. Additionally, those who eat a gluten-free diet due to celiac disease may be deficient in iron, vitamin B12, folic acid, zinc and vitamin D. Even if you think you’re eating well and you’re paying close attention to everything you put into your body, you may still not be getting enough of the right vitamins, minerals and key nutrients.
To keep your joints, bones and skin strong, you’ll also want to consider vitamins and supplements as you age. If you’re pregnant or trying to become pregnant, your body is also going through specific changes that can be supported by certain vitamins and supplements (more on that later).
HOW TO GET THE VITAMINS YOU NEED THROUGH FOOD
One of the best ways to ensure your body is getting all the vitamins and minerals it needs? Your diet. When you incorporate clean, whole foods, you’re also eating foods that are naturally rich in vitamins like:
- Vitamin C: Foods that are rich in Vitamin C include kale, broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, just to name a few. Kale shakes are quick and easy to make, and allow you to support your body with Vitamin C while sipping something delicious.
- Calcium: You’ll find calcium in everything from almonds to salmon. If you like to cook and bake, consider working with almond flour, a more nutritious option compared to wheat-based flour. (Did somebody say almond flour pancakes?!)
- Magnesium: Wild-caught seafood and dark leafy greens like spinach contain tons of magnesium. Need a fresh, easy dinner idea you can throw together after happy hour? Cook up this Wild Salmon with Buttered Kale, which will satisfy all your cravings while giving you a much-needed magnesium boost.
- Iron: You’ll get tons of iron when you eat pasture-raised meat, wild-caught seafood and dark leafy greens. If you love to cook, you can also access more iron by cooking with a trusty cast-iron skillet.
THE BEST WOMEN’S VITAMINS AND MINERALS TO TAKE
As a woman, you already know your body is a rockstar that can handle pretty much anything life throws at it—from the C-suite to the classroom to the backyard, and everywhere in between. For that same reason, it’s an essential form of self-care to give your body the proper vitamins and nutrients it needs. Some of the best women’s vitamins to take are:
- Bulletproof Vitamins A-D-K: Vitamin A, vitamin D and vitamin K are all essential for supporting heart health, bone health and immune health. Women, particularly, need to pay attention to maintaining strong bones as they age, Our experts say this stack is even better together!
- B vitamins: There are eight B vitamins that help your body’s various systems do their jobs—and do them well. These are: thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, folic acid (folate), pyridoxine, cobalamin and biotin, which are often referred to by numbered names like B6 and B9.
- Vitamin E: This essential vitamin packs a punch, acting as a bodyguard to protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals. Vitamin E also supports immune health and cell health.
- Zinc: While zinc is technically a mineral, not a vitamin, it plays an important role throughout your body just the same. Additionally, zinc can help support the health of women’s reproductive systems. Bulletproof Zinc with Copper can help you maintain immune system function, a balanced mood and healthy energy levels.
THE SKINNY ON WOMEN’S MULTIVITAMINS
Multivitamins can be a convenient way to take your vitamins—just pop one in your mouth, take a drink of water and you’re good to go for the day. Daily multivitamins are available in multiple different forms, ranging from gummies to swallowable tablets to superfood powders.
But, as with anything, there are pros and cons to once-daily multivitamins. They may contain artificial colors, fillers and preservatives that you definitely wouldn’t find in nature and should probably think twice about eating. On top of that, daily multivitamins often contain daily value vitamin levels that may not work for you and, in fact, could disagree with your body. One-a-day multivitamins, particularly multivitamin gummies, may contain sugars and sweeteners, so be sure to do your research and choose a trusted source!
At best, the research into the effectiveness of multivitamins is mixed, so talk to your doctor or a dietitian to understand whether taking a daily multivitamin is the right path for you. Be sure to mention any allergens or intolerances you have, since these could be contained in the fillers and chemicals used to produce multivitamins.
WOMEN’S HEALTH SUPPLEMENTS TO CONSIDER
Vitamins and supplements often get lumped together, but they’re technically two different things. Vitamins are specific organic compounds, whereas supplements may contain a range of different vitamins, nutrients, minerals and ingredients to help you feel your best and achieve your health goals.
Some of the best women’s health supplements that can support overall health and wellness include:
- Bulletproof Zen Mode: Women are more likely to report symptoms of stress from everyday chaos than men. With magnesium, L-theanine and a special Zen Blend, this supplement can help promote relaxation amidst daily stressors.
- Bulletproof Sleep Mode: Sleep is essential for women. But if you’re like many women out there, you may struggle to get a good night’s rest. Sleep Mode can help, thanks to its non-habit forming mix of ingredients, like plant-based melatonin, L-ornithine and Brain Octane Oil, to help you wake up feeling energized and refreshed.
- Bulletproof Omega Krill Complex: Give your heart, brain and joints the support they need with this unique blend of omega-3 krill oil and fish oils. Your skin will thank you for the antioxidant know as astaxanthin, too.
WHY YOU SHOULD SUPPLEMENT WITH COLLAGEN, TOO
By age 25, your body’s internal collagen production slows down and continues to decline from there, which is why it’s so important to start supplementing with collagen early. Collagen provides the building blocks for strong bones, muscles and joints, as well as healthy hair, nails and skin. Nowadays, you’ll see ads for “women’s best collagen” everywhere you turn, but it’s important to know where your collagen comes from, so you know you’re sourcing from the best. Thanks to a fully loaded suite of grass-fed collagen, Bulletproof makes it easy to add more to your diet with:
- Bulletproof Collagen Protein: Adding this critical ingredient to your diet has never been easier with easy-to-consume Bulletproof collagen protein supplements in powder form. Simply stir into a smoothie or your morning coffee. Plus, you’ve got flavor options… You can choose between Vanilla or Chocolate, or if you’re whipping up savory shakes or soups, opt for Unflavored Collagen Protein. Additionally, consider adding Bulletproof Collagelatin to whip up seamless stews, sauces and sweets.
- Bulletproof Complete Daily Energy Collagen Protein: Reap the benefits of strengthening your body’s framework and charge your battery for the day. This collagen protein-packed formula joins MCT oil with all nine essential amino acids and a Custom Energy Blend for sustained energy.
- Bulletproof Beauty Boost: Feeling your best oftentimes correlates with looking your best. This beauty potion may seem like magic, but it’s actually bolstering healthy hair, skin and nails with collagen protein, biotin and hyaluronic acid.
- Bulletproof Collagen Protein Joint Boost: If your joints could use a little extra support during everyday activities like gardening or exercising, this specially- formulated drink mix contains collagen protein, along with beneficial glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate.
COLLAGEN ON THE GO
As for women on the go, we’ve got you covered, too. Some of the women’s best collagen products you can grab before heading out the door for your busy day (we’re talking to you, soccer moms and frontline workers!) come in single-serving snacks and drinks that are easy to toss in your tote.
From brand-new Berry Cobbler to classic Fudge Brownie, all Bulletproof Collagen Protein Bars are a convenient and tasty way to enjoy the benefits of this important food. And, when those chocolate cravings hit, a Bulletproof Double Chocolate Chocolate Dipped Collagen Bar will undoubtedly hit the spot. (Now, say that 10 times fast!)
Plus, if you’re a chilled coffee lover, pair that delicious bar with a can of Bulletproof Cold Brew Latte, which also contains 8g collagen protein per serving, along with quality fats for sustained energy.
OTHER WAYS VITAMINS AND SUPPLEMENTS CAN SUPPORT WOMEN’S HEALTH
Beyond daily nutrition, there are specific reasons you may want to invite women’s vitamins and supplements into your life, from your gut health to your transition into an expectant mother.
In addition to vitamins, minerals and collagen, you also need to incorporate prebiotics and probiotics to maintain a healthy digestive tract. Bulletproof Gut Health contains both prebiotics and probiotics, while Bulletproof Innerfuel Prebiotic can help keep your gut bacteria happy, healthy and thriving, which translates to you feeling your best.
As an added bonus, when you take care of your microbiome, you’re also supporting your vaginal health—and as women, we all know how important that is!
If you’re already pregnant or trying to conceive, you definitely want to consult with your doctor about the best vitamins and dietary supplements for you.
Your body’s needs change when you are pregnant, and a qualified healthcare provider can offer pregnancy-specific advice about diet, vitamins and supplements.
Keep in mind that if you do not take vitamins and supplements, becoming pregnant may require you to start. And, if you do supplement with certain products, you should be willing to adapt your stack to your OBGYN’s specific prenatal recommendations.
WHEN SHOULD I TAKE WOMEN’S VITAMINS AND SUPPLEMENTS?
Though there’s no one-size-fits-all approach, generally speaking, you should consider taking vitamins and supplements when you don’t feel like you’re at the top of your game—maybe you’re experiencing fatigue, brain fog or you just don’t quite feel like yourself.
Before you start taking vitamins and supplements, be sure to consult with a physician, naturopath or another medical professional, who may first want to run blood tests to determine the best course of action for you.
As for what time of day you should take vitamins and supplements, that’s also something to discuss with a health professional. Your doctor can share insights into questions like taking vitamins and supplements in the morning vs. at night or with or without food. We also recommend seeking advice on any vitamins and supplements you should avoid taking together or entirely if you’re taking certain medications.
The bottom line: Vitamins and supplements can help your body function at peak performance, which means you can go about your day feeling healthy, energized and focused. And, thanks to Bulletproof’s large collection of women-friendly supplements and collagen products, you can target your stack and take care of your needs in a seamless way that fits into your day-to-day!
Worried about the effects of getting older? Learn all about the best anti-aging supplements to take—hint, hint: we’ve already covered a couple!